22.7.08

If you're going to race with the devil, you've got to be as fast as Hell!

I wake up a lot in the middle of the night. It comes with the territory of being a neurotic narcoleptic with sleep apnea. I am sleepy all day and I can't sleep for 8 hours straight. So I watch a lot of shitty movies... because that's what is on TV at 3:30AM when I wake up. Rarely I will come across something that interests me enough to keep me up.
Last night I watched "Race With the Devil", an incredible chase thriller from 1975 starring Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. I read a bit about it this morning and of course there are plans to remake it this year... I am sure it will suck my balls and motherfucking Ashton Kutcher or some other asshole will star.
Anyhow, the movie revolves around 2 married couples on vacation in an RV. They stop in some secluded area for the night and get drunk (like people used to do in movies) only to stumble across some locals performing a fucking-A gruesome Satanic sacrificial ritual. They try to do the right thing and report the crime only to discover that the fuckers in town are all in on the shit. This sets them on a trip out of the stick with hope of getting to the "big city" so they can analyze a blood sample and set things straight.
The trip to the city is plagued by intense paranoia and kooky characters. The closer they get to salvation, the more shit gets in their way... great cinematography, and Peter Fonda's frustration with the loopy shit that is going on lead to a terrifying epic chase scene. Good flick.

Anyway, I was so disturbed by this damn movie that I never got back to sleep, so I made a playlist to accompany my feelings of dread and hopelessness. I will post it soon.

And put "Race With the Devil" in your netflix queue before Hollywood fucks up and remakes it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like some shit dan would make me watch

Ken said...

What's next a Cannonball Run remake?

PS: I've been lurking around your blog.

LackeyPA said...

I would watch it. There was some really good stuff from the 70s that people will appreciate as good when they see the shitty remake in the next 3 years.